December 21, 2009

Crazy lace at 1am

122109b

I worked on this shawl like crazy late last night and early this morning just to finish it. Why? Because I wanted to take a picture of it in the snow. ;-) It's supposed to warm up sometime this week and I'm afraid all of the snow will melt. I don't think we'll have a white Christmas.

This shawl was my first designed by Birgit Freyer. I say first because I bought a set of her patterns and they're all so beautiful! I've had this website bookmarked for over a year, but was always hesitant to buy them. The patterns are a little more pricey than typical lace patterns, but I found this one worth it. The charts were clear and easy to read. As a bonus, this pattern was easy for me to alter. I cast-on fewer stitches for a slightly thinner shawl.

This shawl had a few unique stitches in it. Some stitches changed the stitch count on that row, but will be accounted for on the next right side row. This makes the top points of the little diamonds match the bottom points.

122109a

Details:
Pattern: Johanna by Birgit Freyer
Yarn: Wollmeise lace in Granatapfel (235gms)
Needle: size 3 Knit Picks Classic Circular
Mods: decreased cast-on for thinner stole
Blocked size: 20 inches wide by 98 inches(point to point) or 72 inches(straight part only)
Start: November 18, 2009
Finish: December 21, 2009

I'll leave with a picture of the snowman that my daughter made-- all by herself! --wearing the shawl. ;-)

122109d

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Wow I LOVE those pics of that shawl against the white background of the snow! You did a great job and so did your daughter.

Deniz said...

oooh it was so worth it! the photos in the snow are amazing! the contrast between the shawl and the snow fabulous. beautiful knit..... and great to wear for christmas :)
happy holidays