August 15, 2006

Rethinking beads

I was around 50 rows into the beaded stole and frogged it. It would have turned out too heavy with the amount of beads that I was placing in it. I'll have to change that around and try again. In the meantime, I couldn't resist making something with the Seasilk that I bought recently. It's so soft and shiny. I'm making a basic stole out of it using a stitch pattern out of my Walker book. I figured out how wide to make it by looking at the Stormwater stole. That stitch pattern is in the Walker book too. I figured out about how many repeats the Stormwater Stole is to help me figure out how many to cast on for my stole. I cast on 88. We'll see how far my two skeins will go with the pattern that I'm using.

Some Seasilk math...

I have done 8 rows of garter stitch and then 4 repeats of a 16 row pattern. I'll just call that 4.5 rows for calculations. I've used around 38 grams of yarn out of the 100 gram ball. That will give me 11.8 repeats per ball of Seasilk.

Relaxed, it is around 21 inches wide and one repeat is around 2 inches tall. That will give me a finished stole of 21 inches wide and 47.2 inches long. I pinned out what I have so far and the measurements became 24 inches wide with a repeat of 3 inches tall. That finished stole would be 24 inches wide and 70.8 inches long. Hmmmmm... I might be happy with that. I might block it emphasizing length over width, but that length sounds okay.

No comments: