July 8, 2007

SOS #6 done and so many waterfalls

7807bHere is the Vesper sock that I finished on our way home. The yarn is very nice and the colors are wonderful. I do knit my socks from both ends of one ball of yarn. The pinks on either sock to line up, but the black and red stripes are reversed. I like it. These socks are bright and very fun. I can't wait until cooler weather lets me wear them more often. Right now, we're having temperatures in the mid 90's. Not exactly sock wearing weather. Not even cotton socks.

7807a 7807c 7807d

Details:
Yarn: Vesper sock yarn in Strange Little Mama
Needles: size 0 (2mm) Knit Picks Classic Circular
Method: magic loop, two at once, toe up with Turkish cast-on, short row heel
Pattern: Welt Fantastic from Sensational Knitted Socks (modified to make the zigzags wider and left out the welts)
Start: July 1, 2007
Finished: July 7, 2007

The first falls that we went to was called Lower Falls (left). Lower what? I don't know. ;-) I just know that it was quite a hike getting back to the parking area. There were a lot of switchbacks and a lot of obstacles (rocks, roots, etc) on the trail. The second falls that E, D, and Dwight went to was the Upper Falls (right). I was too tired and opted to stay in the car for that hike.

The next day, we went to Linville Falls. Hmmmm, this one was very familiar. Why is that? Dwight said that we've never been there before. I swear we have been there. I came home, looked into the honeymoon album, and I was right!! That's one of the falls that we visited on our honeymoon--10 years ago. It was fun to go back and take E and D with us this time.

After that, we took a loooong detour to the Crabtree Falls. Why the detour? Because we were slightly lost. Dwight said that his map was wrong. Right... I have to give him credit though - he did stop and ask for directions. These falls were beautiful. There was a bridge where you can get a full view of the falls. But you could also do a little scampering over rocks to get a bit closer too. E and D did that with Dwight and had lots of fun playing in the water. The twisty hike to this one was well worth it.

E did the 5k race again this year. She finished and her time was much better than last years. She's 6 and this is her third year doing the race. I'm so proud of her for finishing. She's said that she wants to do again next year too. She didn't do too much training this year, but maybe we'll do a bit more before next year's race.

The last waterfall that we went to was Looking Glass Falls. This is definitely a tourist waterfall. All that you have to do is park your car, walk down some stairs, and you there right at the bottom of the waterfall. This waterfall is very beautiful, but there is just something missing when it's that easy to get to.

We did do some camping on this trip. That was fun, except for the twisted ankle. E and D seemed to enjoy the whole trip. There was a lot of adventure and we didn't stay in one place long enough to get bored. ;-)

What am I working on now? I'm working on a pair of socks out of Misty Mountain yarn and using another pattern from More Sensational Knitted Socks. I haven't started Mystery Shawl #3, but I'm sooo tempted. All of the pictures so far are beautiful. I think that I will definitely like this shawl made in black.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OH I miss the Blue Ridge so much! Looks like such a great time!