August 10, 2007

SOS #17 and school

81007bOkay, I'm starting to get tired of socks. These socks were just tedious to knit. It's not the yarn. I really like this yarn and the colors. It was the pattern. The pattern wasn't fun to knit. I was expecting it to make the yarn zigzag at least a little, but it didn't. So, it just adds an overall texture to the sock instead of playing with the colors. The yarn is Perchance to Knit in Buy Me a Rainbow. This rainbow leans heavily towards neon and I like it. It should make for a great pick me up in the cold of winter. ;-)

This is the merino/nylon blend. I've discovered that I really like the 100% merino yarns from Perchance to Knit much better than that merino/nylon blend. The blend is just a bit thinner and much more splitty than the 100% merino yarn. I'm currently knitting another sock with the 100% merino yarn and it has a tighter twist.

81007cDetails:
SOS #17
Yarn: Perchance to Knit in Buy Me a Rainbow
Needles: size 0 (2mm) Knit Picks Classic Circulars
Method: magic loop, two at once, turkish cast-on
Pattern: Fern Stitch (p. 103) in More Sensational Knitted Socks
Start: August 6, 2007
Finish: August 9, 2007

In other knitting news, have you been to The Daily Chum? It's Lime & Violet's latest blog adventure and it's so cool, but a bit dangerous too. I'm enjoying the daily links to new etsy stores, online tutorials, free patterns, etc. I especially like the links to the etsy stores. I've tried looking around etsy and it's just not fun to browse while on a dial-up connection.

I mentioned that I am getting tired of socks. I just want to cast on for something else. At the beginning of Summer of Socks, I said that I wanted to focus on socks for the duration. I'm changing that. I'm going to focus on socks until August 21st. That will be two months into SOS. After that, I'll most likely cast on for something that isn't a sock. I have a few things that I've been thinking about. I might work on Mystery Stole 3, the Bee Stole, or the cape out of Not Just Socks for Kids.

Our school year started this past Monday. It's going great so far. E is slowly getting used to the more independent learning that this year's curriculum asks of her. I think that this is good. With me sitting next to her throughout her lessons, it's just so easy for her to ask me how to do something or where to find it. I want her to know that she can look things up herself too. I am there if she needs help, but I want her to make an effort to find the answers too. I'm keeping a notebook of almost daily writings and another of almost daily drawings. She's really gotten into more detailed drawings lately. I think that I've found something that interests her. Princesses. Surprised? It's not just princesses, but she likes to draw castles, dragons, and everything else that goes along with those types of stories.

D is so great while we're doing lessons. He's started playing on his own. That is something new for him. He usually has E dictating to him what they will play with, so it's nice to see him making his own decisions.
----------------
Now playing: They Don't Want Music (Ft. James Brown) - Black Eyed Peas
via FoxyTunes

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Omigosh. I'm completely amazed. Your socks are gorgeous!

It's funny, but I get the same comment in reverse about the 100% Merino vs theMerino/nylon blend. Perhaps it's the knitter, or the needles, or the pattern or something that's just personal preference?

My birthday is tomorrow, just 2 days before yours. Happy, happy birthday m'dear! (Betcha I'm a lot older than you though...)