September 17, 2007

SOS #37 and #38 or how to stretch a skein

91607cI love these socks! The yarn Fly*Dyed Monarch in Ruby Redmond. The base yarn is just wonderful. It has a tight twist, but is still soft. It also feels very sturdy. These are some socks that will last a good while. I was very happy that the color didn't pool or stripe too drastically. The pattern is something that I made up as I went along and I will most likely knit it again. I want to try it with some fingering weight yarn. Designing on the go was fun. I love how slipped stitches look with variegated yarn. It helps to show off the various different colors or shades in the yarn.

91607bDetails:
Yarn: Fly*Dyed Monarch in Ruby Redmond
Needle: size 1 (2.5mm) Addi Turbo
Method: magic loop, two at once, toe-up with Turkish cast-on, short row heel
Pattern: my own made up as I went
Start: September 15, 2006
Finish: September 16, 2007

I am going to attempt to write this one up as a free pattern, but that won't happen until after Summer of Socks is over.

91707aBut what about stretching a skein? I thought that I would see how far I could get with the leftovers from this skein. This is how far the rest of the skein will go. I did have about 2 yards left after binding off. Not bad to get two pairs of socks out of one skein of yarn. Sure, the first pair could have been made higher, but that's the height that I like my socks. I see so many knee high sock patterns that I like, but I have to remember that I don't wear knee socks. But Q over on the new Knitty is very tempting. Maybe when I find the right yarn and more time...

No comments: