February 15, 2008

Lost that lovin' feelin'

Whoa, it's gone, gone, gone... I just can't be motivated to work on lace right now. My Spring Surprise Stole has stalled at clue 4. I did knit a few rows of clue 5, but I'm just not in the mood to knit something that needs so much attention. There are so many other great mystery lace alongs going on right now, but my attention is somewhere else. Maybe it's the beautiful sock yarns that are so distracting to me.

21308g 21308f 21308e 21308d

Those are Wollmeise 100% superwash sock yarn in Emil, Paul, Johannisbeer und Brennessel, and Franz. Wollmeise is so hard to get from the Loopy Ewe. I ordered these direct from Germany. They sat on my desk for a few days before I wound them into balls. I still don't have a ball winder, but I've found that I did enjoy winding these by hand. I get to watch the colors go by and think about what I want to do with the yarn. I usually wind yarn if I'm having trouble deciding on what to knit. It's not like I don't have enough projects lined up, but I'm having trouble getting motivated to work on the bigger ones.

21308aI finished the cross stitch block fingerless gloves for my sister. Those were such a quick knit. The cross stitch block is one of my favorite stitch patterns. It's easy enough to memorize, but it's entertaining enough to keep boredom away.

I like the individual fingers, but they are uncomfortable when I try to knit wearing them. These type of gloves are great to wear while taking pictures outside in the cold. I used to just take one glove off, but now I just wear fingerless gloves and my hands stay warm. In between pictures, I do put my hands in my pockets or my finger tips do get a little cold.

Details:
Yarn: Dream in Color Smooshy in Midnight Derby (used 55gms)
Needle: size 1 (2.5mm) Knit Picks Classic Circular
Pattern: my own basic fingerless glovepattern with the Cross stitch block from More Sensational Knitted Socks
Start: February 6, 2008
Finish: February 8, 2008

21308bAfter the fingerless gloves for my sister, I wanted to make another pair out of the pretty Wollmeise yarn. Now I have these, Very Terhi fingerless mitts. The pattern is by Yarnissima. They're so pretty! The yarn is Wollmeise sock yarn in the Brombeere color. This one is such a deep, dark color.

This pattern is written for thicker yarn, so I had some adjusting to do. I ended up adding two stitches to either side of the main section on the top of the hand. I also added 4 stitches to the palm. The thumb had to be adjusted too. I messed with that while I was knitting until it fit comfortably. I only used 45 grams of yarn and there is a lot left over in the skein. I'm thinking of using the main criss-crossed section on a pair of socks.

Details:
Pattern: Very Terhi by Yarnissima
Yarn: Wollmeise sockenwolle in Brombeere (used 45 gms)
Needle: szie 1 (2.5mm) Knit Picks Classic Circ.
Changes: I added 4 stitches to the front and 4 to the palm to accommodate the thinner yarn.
Start: February 9, 2008
Finish: February 12, 2008

Speaking of socks, E was wearing some socks that I made for her last October. They're too small--already! I'm back into sock production mode. I want to make a few pairs for E and then a few pairs for D too. I've noticed that he fits her socks better than his own. But he doesn't really want to wear her socks because of the colors. He likes bright colors like orange and yellow. She likes girly colors like pink and purple.

E and D love their socks that I knit. They don't wear the regular white store bought socks anymore. Dwight made a crack that I was saving money, since we don't have to buy socks anymore. Right....that's because sock yarn is so cheap. *insert eyeroll* At least the socks I make fit. Both kids have very narrow feet and my socks fit their feet so much better. For example, E's foot is 7 inches long and 5.75 inches in circumference. According to the chart in Sensational Knitted Socks, a foot that is 7 inches long is usually 6.75 inches around.

I like knitting socks for them, even if they do outgrow them so fast. It only takes me two days to finish a pair. I'm off to finish E's new socks.

1 comment:

Cristina said...

Hi, Jeannie, I'm so glad to find someone who has successfully knit the very terhi mitts. I'm confused by the directions on the detailed instructions page that specify traveling stitches take place on every round. The symbol craft explanations contradict that by giving plain rounds followed by traveling rounds. What did you do? When I've knit traveling stitches flat, I've worked plain rows on the "wrong" side. I think I have to write the chart out since I work better from written instructions than from charts. Any light you could shed on your success would be much appreciated!