May 12, 2008

Late Laminaria

42808a

I knit this shawl a few weeks ago, but I'm finally blogging about it now. Things have been busy around here. I've been working on E's homeschooling portfolio. That is finished and has been reviewed. Phew! We got a dog. Well, we're trying out a dog. She's a black lab and almost two years old. She's a very well behaved dog, but we're not sure if a dog fits into our family or routines right now. On top of that, we're not sure if where we live is good for her. We have been finding a lot of ticks on her and around our house. She does have a flea/tick treatment, but I'm not sure if that's enough.

42808bBack to knitting, this is Laminaria. I knit it out of two strands of Colourmart's 2/28 cashmere yarn. I wanted a dense shawl and that is exactly what I got. I bought this yarn as an odds-n-ends lot on ebay last year. I initially bought it to make a scarf for Dwight. It's just about the right shade of UT's burnt orange. I still have plenty left to make that scarf. I'm thinking about knitting another Henry scarf since I liked the last one so much. I love how this shawl turned out. It is dense, but it's light and fluffy. The cashmere does feel funny coming off of the cone, but a few dunks into very hot and soapy water softened it up a lot.

I picked this shawl because it has a few stitches that I haven't used in a shawl yet. Overall, it was quick and fun to knit. The
3-into-9 or 2-into-9 stitches weren't so bad to execute. I was using my pointy Knit Picks Options needles and they made it easy to do those stitches.

Details:
Pattern: Laminaria by Elizabeth Freeman on Knitty.com
Yarn: Colourmart 2/28 cashmere laceweight-doubled
Needle: size 5 Knit Picks Options
Start: April 18, 2008
Finish: April 25, 2008

Up next, I'm knitting a blanket or throw. I'm not sure what the final size will be, but it is going to be larger than a shawl. I'm knitting Snowflakes in Cedarwoods out of 4ply camel hair yarn from Colourmart. I'm only on the third chart out of 11, so it will be a while before it's finished. I'm hoping to finish it before the weather gets too warm for me to have this project in my lap.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous shawl!

Octopus Knits said...

Very pretty! I want to make a Laminaria soon : )

P.S. The lace scarves in your previous post are beautiful, too!

Jessica said...

It's beautiful!

SlipSlipKnit said...

Looks gorgeous. I'm about halfway through the large laminaria and I'm having trouble with the number of repeats of the blossom chart (if I do the math) coming out to non-whole numbers. Did you have any problem with the layers of the pattern not lining up? Or did I just watch too much tv while doing this? Thanks!
megan.a.kelley@gmail.com