June 11, 2008

Too many ideas...

6608bI'm still going strong with the 52 Pair Plunge 2. I'm actually ahead of the one-pair-a-week schedule. That's good because I'll need a break from socks sometime in the next year. I've been looking through stitch dictionaries and coming up with my own patterns. Now I have too many stitch patterns that I want to alter to fit into socks.

These super bright yellow socks were knit from a stitch pattern that was really easy to fit onto socks. The yarn is solid Cherry Tree Hill color. I really like their solid yarns. It feels springy and doesn't split at all. I decided to put the picot edge at the top simply because I was tired of ending my socks in 2x2 or 1x1 ribbing. I like the picot edge because it's thick, feels sturdy, and is pretty. I'm not fond of having to sew it down.

Details:
Yarn: Cherry Tree Hill solids-yellow
Needle: size 0 (2mm) Knit Picks Classic Circular
Pattern: basic sock with stitch from a stitch dictionary
Method: magic loop, 2 at once, toe-up, Turkish cast-on, short row heel, picot cuff
Start: June 3, 2008
Finish: June 5, 2008

6908aThis is my Monkey pair for the 52 Pair Plunge 2. Over on the Ravelry group, they picked out two patterns for June. One pattern was Monkey, so I added it to my queue for this month. I've knit this pattern before, but never with Socks that Rock. In fact, I've never used any of the Socks that Rock yarn before now. This is their lightweight yarn, but it felt like sport weight to me. It was definitely thicker than most indie dyed yarns that I've used. The socks turned out really dense and should make a nice winter sock, despite the lace. I like how the yarn pooled into stripes. I did the picot edge again and was a little faster at sewing it down.

Details:
Yarn: Socks that Rock lightweight in Emerald City (used 95 gms)
Needle: size 0 (2mm) Knit Picks Classic Circular
Method: magic loop, 2 at once, toe-up, Turkish cast-on, short row heel, picot cuff
Notes: This yarn is on the thicker side for sock yarns, but I had to use a 2mm needle or the socks would have been too big. This resulted in a very dense sock. It should be great for next winter.
Start: June 5, 2008
Finish: June 7, 2008

61108aAnd this is what I'm working on right now. This pattern was heavily altered from a stitch pattern that I found. I love how these socks are turning out. I started calling them my Mirror socks because of how they mirror each other. Now I'm calling them my Magic Mirror socks. Why? Because they look so shriveled, small, and kind of ugly on the needles. They look great on my foot and stretch a lot. I think that this pattern wouldn't need to be altered much to fit a wide variety of foot sizes.

And speaking of patterns, I really want to write up a few of these socks as patterns. I also haven't posted about two lace scarves that I've knitted because I want to write up the patterns to post along with them. I need to get with it and start writing them before the backlog gets too long and overwhelming that I don't do it at all.

If you're wondering how I had time to do all of this, it's because Dwight took the kids camping. I stayed home because my allergies have been super annoying this season. Over the weekend, I managed to sew 4 dress for E, finish the Monkey socks, start on the Magic Mirror socks, and do all sorts of cleaning. Not bad. I also had a lot of fun watching old New Kids on the Block videos on youtube. I obsessed over the guys back in the day and it's so exciting to see that they're together again and working on an album.

No comments: