January 12, 2010
1st pair of the year
I finished my first pair of tessellating socks. I'll think of a snazzier name if I ever write up the pattern. These socks used about 60 gms of yarn total. So, that's around 20gms of yarn for each color. I balanced that out by doing the toe, heel, and ribbing in different colors. I like knitting tessellating patterns because they seem to fly by quickly. Each color section doesn't take that long and I keep wanting to knit until the next color change before putting it down.
Tessellating sock #1
Yarn: leftovers of Knit Picks Stroll Kettle Dyed in wine, gold, and eggplant
Needle: size 1 (2.25mm)
Method: magic loop, 1 at a time, toe-up, Turkish cast-on, short row heel
Start: December 28, 2009
Finish: January 6, 2010
I've finished one sock and I'm up to the heel on the 2nd sock of my other tessellating pattern. I tried to match up a few variegated yarns to tessellate, but that just hid all of that stranding. My stranding technique still needs some work. I'm holding both yarns in my left hand. I tried doing the one color in each hand thing, but can't get a decent tension or rhythm with the one in my right hand.
I wove a few more scarves. My 12 dent heddles arrived on last Monday and I was off weaving with sock yarns almost right away. These three are made from non-superwash yarns, so they're probably better off as scarves instead of socks. The scarf at the bottom is Knit Picks Sock Landscape yarn in Mesa. I really like the plaid that came out of it. The top ones are Jojoland yarns when you could only find it on ebay. They're both a merino/cashmere blend. The left one has a springy feel to it and the right one is really fuzzy and soft.
I learned how different yarns can really mess with your tension. These three yarns were very different from each other and each behaved differently on the loom. I liked the Mesa one the best. It was the smoothest and easiest to weave. I also learned how to hem stitch the ends. I'm not confident that it will hold, but it looks good for now.
These were all made on my Cricket using a 12 dent heddle. From left to right and top to bottom, there were 92, 104, and 104 warp ends. The scarves measure 7x60, 8x62, and 8x62 inches.
I'll go work on the second tessellating sock while everyone else is sledding. Ah, it's quiet in here. ;-)