January 4, 2010

Out with the old...in with the cold(?)



It's cold here and it's going to stay that way for the rest of this week. These snowflakes are one of the few reasons why I like it when it gets this cold. I can only take photos of like this when it's well below freezing. The temperature was around 20 degrees when I was taking these.

Here's the recap for 2009 in numbers like I usually do.
Last year, I knit:
9 shawls
49 pairs of socks
2 scarves
1 hat
3 pairs of mittens
2 bath mats/rugs

and wove 4 scarves. Wow, that's a lot of socks. A lot of those went elsewhere because I don't have 49 new pairs of socks in my sock drawer. ;-)

This year, I really want to use up some of the yarn that I already have. I've started that in December with the bath mats and the woven scarves. The mats were knit using a hemp/wool blend yarn that I bought when I first started knitting. The woven scarves used up most of my worsted weight yarn. I'm still waiting for my smaller sized heddles for my loom. UPS is supposed to deliver those today, but I'm not sure if they'll attempt our driveway with all of the fluffy snow on it.

122909b 122909a

The Sock Knitter's Anonymous group had a leftover challenge during December. I started two pairs of socks using various solid leftovers and I really like the results. I need to make a few more pairs like these to use up more of my leftovers. When I was trying to decide on yarn for these two socks, I laid out all of my leftover balls of yarn (approx. 20ish to 40ish grams each) and found that I had several gallon sized plastic bags full of them! Eek. It's time to use those.

I hope you're staying warm where ever you are. If not, I hope you have pretty snowflakes like these:






5 comments:

mikieann said...

Jeannie,

I love the snowflake pics! Those are awsome. :)

Hope you guys are doing well and staying warm.

Mikie

Anonymous said...

I love the snow crystals.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Really amazing snowflake photos! I just can't get over the detail in each one! Enjoy your week!

Lynn said...

Ok those are AMAZING pics of snowflakes!!! Do you use a macro lens to get that detail??? GORGEOUS!!!

And yes that is an impressive amt of socks!!! I like the new ones you are doing to use up the little balls. They look really pretty!

Jeanne said...

I love the snowflake pictures - amazing!

Happy New Year!