May 6, 2007

Lovely socks and odd socks

5607dI love these socks! Yes, they are a bit bright, but I like the combination of pink, purple, and green. Let me add that it's a bit difficult to take a picture of your own feet---that doesn't make your legs look huge. Shhh Dwight, I hear you laughing! The picture on the left was taken by me and my wonderful Canon Pro1 camera. The swivel lcd screen makes shots like that one possible. Back to the socks, this yarn was very nice to work with. It's Perchance to Knit in Bougainvillea. I forgot to mention in the last post that this yarn comes with a cute little matching stitch marker. I thought that was a very nice touch that makes this yarn stand out a bit from the various other handpainted sock yarns out there. The pattern is the Stansfield 304 from More Sensational Knitted Socks. It's a nice pattern that's easy to memorize. You can see the pattern detail better in the middle picture below.

5607c 5607b 5607a


Details:
Yarn: Perchance to Knit in Bougainvillea bought from The Loopy Ewe
Needles: size 0 Knitpicks classic circular
method: toe-up, short row heel
pattern: Stansfield 304 pattern from More Sensational Knitted Socks
Start: May 1, 2007
Finish: May 4, 2007

5607fAnd now I'll talk a little bit about my odd socks. Is there something wrong with the picture to the left? Hmm, maybe it's the sun. Nope. Maybe it's the photo. Nope. It's the yarn. The sock on the left is significantly lighter than the sock on the right. It's more dramatic in person too. Ugh. I can't say that I'm not disappointed. I am. This is the first time that a sock yarn has let me down and it just had to be a Sea Wool sock yarn too. :-( The sock on the right is so pretty. It's colors are bright and vibrant. The colors on the left are faded, muted, or sad. I noticed it when I started, but kept going. I was hoping that the faded part wouldn't last very long. I'm now around 2/3 done with the foot and they're still very different. I'm going to finish them anyways because I do love the yarn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooooh! So pretty!

You have no idea how thrilled it makes me to see my handpainted yarn in the hands of a a talented knitter like yourself. These are so beautiful. You did a wonderful job. And I'm happy beyond words to see there's no flashing or pooling.

Can I have one of these pictures? One of these days when I get a break from dyeing sock yarn (as if!) I'm going to put up a gallery of items knit from PTK yarn. This would mke a lovely addition.

:::from your new fan:::