July 17, 2007

SOS #10 done and it's not for me

71707eHere is Baudelaire in blue. It is another sock that's not for me, but I'm really tempted to keep it. If I don't, I'll have to make another pair for myself. I actually followed the pattern and did the heel as written. It does fit nice, but I still don't like the look of this type of heel. I do like it when you're doing a top down sock and the patterning goes down the heel flap. This sock was done toe-up, so the back of the heel is just plain. On this pattern, I especially like the little cables that go up the sides of the sock. Instead of doing the 1x1 ribbing, I did a 2x2 ribbing, except on the sides. I let the cable go up into the ribbing like I saw recently on one of Wendy's socks.

71707c 71707b 71707d

Details:
Yarn: Regia 4-ply color 1932
Needles: size 1 (2.25m) Knit Picks Classic Circulars
Method: magic loop, two at once, toe up with Turkish cast on
Pattern: Baudelaire (medium)
Start: July 14, 2007
Finish: July 16, 2007

Next, I want more color! After doing three pairs of socks that aren't for me and that were a bit monochromatic, I want to do some wild socks. We'll see what I can dig up.

I'm also thinking about the Q3 challenge that Sheri posted about on her blog. I'm supposed to try some sort of socks or lace that's a challenge for me. If I went with lace, I would want to try a different construction. The problem is that square shawls or circular shawls don't appeal to me. I don't want to spend all that time knitting, just to have to fold the shawl in half to wear it. I went searching for a challenging rectangular or triangular shawl. The Inky-Dinky Spider Stole has caught my eye more than once. I bought the pattern and we'll see what I think when it gets here.

But if I went with socks, what kind of pattern would challenge me? I don't wear knee socks. I've done various lace socks and color work socks. I've tried entrelac socks and didn't like it. How about argyle socks! Now those would definitely be challenging. And intimidating. I haven't tried intarsia yet.

Of course, there's still the Mystery Stole #3. I haven't cast on for that yet. I'm not quite burned out on socks. I have been making magnetic bracelets for E and others. They're fun and so quick to make once you get all of those beads out. I'll have to take pictures of those for a future post.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Bayerische socks from Eunny Jang seem pretty challenging to me! I'm going to try some stranded socks later in the year, after I get all these gift socks out of the way. ;)

Zu said...

Wow! Ten socks already! I hope I get that fast someday! I'm doing the SOS as well and finished my 5th crocheted pair and am attempting a knitted pair. They're going very slowly! :-) Good luck with your knitting. :-)