August 2, 2007

SOS #15 done and one crowded sock drawer

8207hYes, it's another pair of socks for me. Just scroll down to see my wonderful sock drawer. It doesn't look like I need more socks, but I think that I need a bigger variety. Don't you? ;-) I don't have too many lacy socks, so that's what I'm working on now. These are knit out of Gypsy Girl Creations yarn in Painted Desert. Dwight actually commented on these while I was working on them. He said that he liked the color (shocking!). He also liked how the yarn has a very subtle sheen to it. I think that's high praise for a yarn when Dwight is motivated to comment on it.

The pattern is Scrolls from More Sensational Knitted Socks. I don't know what it is, but this pattern is very similar to Milanese Lace and the Crosshatch lace patterns from the same book. Looking at the charts, they look different, but they end up looking very similar when knit. It could also be the variegated yarn doing funny things to my eyes.

8207gDetails:
Yarn: Gypsy Girl Creations in Painted Desert
Needles: size 0 (2mm) Knit Picks Classic Circulars
Method: magic loop, two at once, two up with Turkish cast-on
Pattern: Scrolls (p.95) in More Sensational Knitted Socks
Start: July 31, 2007
Finish: August 2, 2007

I saw Erin post pictures of her sock drawer and thought that I would too. I just got a new dresser a few months ago and took a picture to amuse my sister. She's picky about certain things being lined up perfectly. Typically, I'm not, except when it comes to my sock drawer. This is an updated picture that was taken yesterday. There are still a few socks missing from the drawer, but that's most of my hand knit socks. The cotton socks or thinner socks are on the left and the thicker sport weight socks are on the right.

8107f

I've read a few things here and there on the internet about winding yarn into balls. I usually wind my yarn by hand when I get it so it will be ready when I want it. Now I've read that isn't good for the yarn. Hmmmm. I don't know whether to believe that or not. Some of the hanks of sock yarn that I buy are twisted so tightly that winding it couldn't possibly any worse. I haven't decided whether to stop winding it immediately or not, but I do plan on trying to knit the yarns that are already wound into balls. Or knit the ones that have been in ball form the longest. There aren't too many since I just started buying sock yarn that comes in hanks this spring. It does help me decide on which sock yarns to use. The next pair of socks will be made out of any yarns that are already in ball form in my yarn tag on flickr.

----------------
Now playing: Home - Michael Buble
via FoxyTunes

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the new socks! The scrolls look vaguely greek.

I asked the knitty board about having yarn in balls once, and no one seemed to think it mattered. This may be one of those knitting things where no one really knows. ;)

smelk-o-matic said...

Your sock drawer is soooo much prettier than mine! Looks like I need to knit some more socks. Heh, heh.

Smiles,
Erin