December 31, 2007

Year end round up of projects

This year has been a big knitting year for me. I started knitting in September of 2005. 2006 was a year of trying new things in knitting. It seems that 2007 was a year spent perfecting them. I took on the challenge of Summer of Socks. That was crazy and insane, but also a lot of fun. I really found what types of yarn that I prefer for socks, what types of colors, and what types of patterns that I like to knit. And after making over 40 socks in a three month period, I really worked on getting socks to fit well. I've also grown more confident in knitting socks that will fit other people.

During 2007, I also took on the challenge of knitting my first sweater. While it didn't come out perfect, it did fit and I know what I can do to make it better the next time I try sweater knitting.

In numbers, I completed the following in 2007:
Adult sweaters: 1
Kid sweaters: 5
Hats: 3
Scarves: 4
Mittens: 6
Shawls: 6
Socks: 74

No, that last number is not a typo. And I do want everyone to know that not all of those 74 socks were for me. Around 13 were kid sized socks for E and D. There were socks for Dwight, his mom, my sister, and my mom. Since I have plenty of socks, I'm now working on making more for the kids, my mom, and my sister. I can guarantee that there will not be that many socks knit next year. ;-)

But I have been thinking of what I will knit or sew. I do want to knit some of the projects that I have the yarn and patterns for already. That would be the Inky Dinky Spider stole, the Paisley shawl, the Irtfa'a Faroese shawl, and a sweater. For the sweater, I have the yarn and a few different patterns that will work with it. I just need to sit down and make a decision on the pattern.

In the maybe section, I would like to make some argyle socks. I know that I have a lot of hand knit socks, but argyles are completely different than anything I've done. I've never tried intarsia and that would be a challenge.

In the wishful thinking area, I would like to try out more color work. I want to try mittens or gloves. I would also like to design a lace shawl myself. I'm not sure if that will happen though. There are so many patterns that I want to knit and there is only so much time. We've already established that decision making is difficult for me. ;-)

There are also so many things that I want to sew. My yarn stash is nothing compared to my fabric stash. I need to sew more and work down the stash a bit. I want to make some quick and easy quilts for the kids' room and make some matching curtains. Now that my brother-in-law took back his huge painting, I have a big blank wall in the living room. I want to try to make a crazy quilt for that wall.

In list form, I want to attempt to do the following in 2008:

Inky Dinky Spider Stole
Paisley shawl
Irtfa'a shawl
argyle socks
twin sized quilt for E's bed
full sized quilt for D's bed
curtains to match both quilts
crazy quilt
a few dresses for E
try new handbag designs (by me)

I like making lists, but I usually don't do everything on the list. Things get changed or completely marked off. I reserve the right to change my mind and I probably will. :-D

1 comment:

smelk-o-matic said...

Holy Toledo!!!! That is a ton of knitting in one year. Talk about prolific!

Smiles,
Erin