August 3, 2009

I need a pool

A testing pool, that is. But that's jumping ahead. Let's catch up from where we left off in June (!). Yikes, I can't believe it's been that long.

5709eThis is Whirligig Cables. It's a fun cable pattern that reminds me of whirligigs or candy. This was knit with Opal 4-ply solid yarn. I used a 2.0mm needle for the foot and a 2.25mm needle for the leg. This pattern does draw in a lot from the wide cables. It was done in my usual magic loop, toe-up, 2 at a time, and short row heel fashion.

53009dThis one is Tangled Woods. I seem to be fond of the cable and lace combination lately. The cables and lace seem to balance each other out with the drawing in and opening up. The yarn is Knit Picks Essential/Stroll Kettle Dyed yarn in Timber. Very pretty color, but a bit hard to photograph. This pattern was also knit on a magic loop, 2 at a time, and toe-up.

72709aThis one is unnamed and the pattern needs to be written and tested. But before that, I need to figure out how to resize it. I don't like releasing patterns with one size only. I really like this sock. The pattern was easy to memorize, but wasn't at all boring. The yarn is Knit Picks Essential/Stroll Kettle Dyed yarn in Spruce. I used a 2m needle. It's also done in my typical magic loop, toe-up, short row heel formula.

72709cThis is another unnamed pattern that I need to write up and have tested. I think the pattern works with the variegated yarn. The yarn is Enchanted Knoll Farm in Wood Elves.

And this is why I need a pool. I think that I need to start a testing pool because it will drive me batty if I put a call out for testers separately for each pattern. Beyond these two, I still have about 8(!) other patterns that need to be written and tested. Wow, have I let things stack up. sigh... The pattern writing part slows me down. I would so much rather be knitting a new design than glued to my computer making charts or writing. I'm not sure how I'll do a testing pool. I've done two separate ones on yahoo groups, but those were secret. All of my socks that I've mentioned are already on my ravelry projects page. No secrecy there, so I may just start a ravelry group. Decisions...

Other than knitting, we had a good camping trip. I took a shawl and two lace scarves with me and finished them. They're still not blocked. sigh again... My parents came to visit for a week and I thought that I would get a lot of knitting done, but I didn't.

I did get a lot of reading done. I bought a set of Harry Potter books and read 1-7 in two weeks. Great books!! I'm so glad that I didn't read them when they first came out. I find it very hard to be patient while waiting for the next book in a series to come out. I'm still waiting for the next book in Gabaldon's Outlander series. I think that's supposed to come out this fall? I might have to re-read through that series.

I also need to start planning the next school year. My son is already asking to start now. That's a great sign that he's excited about it and still likes it! My daughter apparently has my reading obsession gene. She's been reading a lot this summer and is recently stuck with Nancy Drew books.

8 comments:

Nautical Knitter said...

I love the two sock patterns that you need to have test knit. Feel free to throw my name in the pool...With this heat, feel free to throw me into the pool...LOL

JoAnna said...

I would totally join a group if you started one on Ravelry. You deserve a fan club! I was so excited to see you on the list of designers for '09-'10 SKA.

I would also submit my interest for any patterns you'd like test knitted.

Lucy said...

I love your sock patterns and would enjoy test knitting for you!

Jessim said...

I'd join a testing pool for your patterns! I haven't done one yet- but have tons in my rav queue...

The only reason I might not be good for a testing pool is that I play fast and loose with gauge- but I do tend to follow patterns as written otherwise.

JessicaRose said...

Oh oh add me to the test pool.

the new socks look lovely (as always).

Tui said...

I would love to test knit for you! I love your desings, they're so beautiful :)

Unknown said...

I love all your sock patterns. And how interesting that we both love the Diana Gabaldon series. It is so hard to wait for the next book, as you said. I'm codeknit on Ravelry and have made the socks you designed last year in orange. The zigzag leaf insert and the straight fancy rib - so beautiful. I receive compliments on them even though they are "orange".

Ruth said...

Those are gorgeous socks!